Blackstone is preparing to sell leading Australian chemical distributor Ixom in dual-track sale process
April 1 2018, David R BrownTweet
Global buyout firm Blackstone Private Equity is ready to test buyer interest in its Australian and New Zealand chemicals business. Ixom, which was formerly Orica's chemicals division, is expected to be worth around AUD 1.2 billion. Investment bank JP Morgan is reported to have been appointed to run a dual-track sale process for Ixom, exploring both sale and IPO options.
Attention chemical distributors! Please send us your press releases or breaking news to:Editorial Team
Ixom reported AUD 1.2 billion revenue and AUD 288.3 million gross profit in the year to September 2017 and AUD 52.1 million net profit. The company manufactures, imports and trades chemicals for the agriculture, building and construction and oil and gas sectors, among others. Its business is predominantly in Australia and New Zealand but also has a presence in Asia, Latin America and the United States.
Blackstone bought Ixom for $750 million at the end of 2014. It is believed to be seeking more than $1 billion for the unit, based on a EBITDA of about AUD 130 million, sources said. JP Morgan advised Blackstone on the acquisition in 2014 while Citi, Goldman Sachs and Lazard ran the sale for Orica. If floated, the IPO would be one of the largest in Australia this year. Blackstone shelved plans to float the business last year at a time when private equity exits were out of favour with listed market investors.
However, Blackstone are more hopeful there will be strong private equity interest in a sale now, given the lack of AUD 1.0 billion-plus opportunities in the Australian market. It knows big global private equity firms are struggling to find targets, at a time when they they have cash to invest. Private interest is also expected from local Australian players which could include Wesfarmers, Incitec Pivot and Caltex, as well as large offshore groups such as ChemChina and maybe other multinational chemical distributors.
Ixom commenced as a standalone business on 2 March 2015, separating from Orica Australia Pty Ltd and for the year ending in September 2017 reported sales revenues of AUD 1.2 billion. With more than 1,000 employees globally, Ixom is the market leader in water treatment and chemical distribution in Australia and New Zealand, with a growing presence in North and South America and Asia. Ixom supplies to a wide variety of industries including Agriculture, Building & Construction, Chemical Process & Synthesis, Food &Nutrition, Home Care, Mining, Oil & Gas, Personal Care, Pharmaceuticals, Plastics, Pulp & Paper and Water Treatment.
Source(s): Chemagility Sources
Attention Chemical Distributors!
Please send your press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Distributor News
- 8 Feb 2019 - Univar and Nexeo Solutions to divest Nexeo's plastics distribution business to One Rock Capital Partners »...Source: Univar Press Release
- 17 Jan 2019 - Azelis acquires Polish flavours distributor Euroconsultant Sp.zoo »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 16 Jan 2019 - Brenntag strengthens US lubricants business by acquiring the lubricants division of Reeder Distributors, Inc. »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 19 Dec 2018 - Brenntag strengthens footprint in the Canadian Life Science markets by acquiring Pachem Distribution »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 19 Dec 2018 - Azelis increases its pharma presence in Italy through the acquisition of Deafarma S.r.l. »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 13 Dec 2018 - Rehau completes acquisition of commodity polymer supplier MB Barter & Trading »...Source: Rehau Group Press Release
- 13 Dec 2018 - HARKE Pharma and Hulshof Protein Technologies joint forces in the sales of beef proteins in Europe »...Source: Harke Group Press Release
- 1 Dec 2018 - Ravago Chemicals acquires global chemical distribution and trading company, KH Chemicals »...Source: Ravago Chemicals Press Rlease
- 19 Nov 2018 - Aspo's Telko Oy acquires Danish polymer distributor H H plastkombi a/s »...Source: Telko Press Release
- 15 Nov 2018 - Singapore's Keppel acquires Australian Chemical firm Ixom from Blackstone for AUD 777 million »...Source: KIT Press Release
- 14 Nov 2018 - IMCD completes the acquisition of Indian specialty chemicals distributor Aroma »...Source: IMCD Press Release
- 31 Oct 2018 - VELOX Composites announces strategic distribution partnership with Ashland for Sweden, Norway and Denmark »...Source: VELOX Press Release
- 23 Oct 2018 - Medichem and HARKE GROUP announce collaboration in DACH region »...Source: Harke Group Press Release
- 11 Oct 2018 - Bodo Möller Chemie France strengthens French distribution business with the acquisition of Acanthe »...Source: Bodo Möller Chemie Press Release
- 25 Sep 2018 - Caldic boosts operations in West Coast, USA by acquiring food ingredients distributor, Cooperative Purchasers »...Source: Caldic Press Release
- 19 Sep 2018 - Chemical distributor Univar to buy Nexeo in USD 2 billion transaction »...Source: Univar Press Release
- 13 Sep 2018 - Brenntag strengthens its specialty chemicals platform in Africa by acquiring distributor Desbro Group »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 6 Sep 2018 - Indukern has acquired French ingredient company Diffusions Aromatiques SAS »...Source: Indukern Press Release
- 29 Aug 2018 - IMCD to acquire European speciality chemicals distributor Velox »...Source: IMCD Press Release
- 16 Aug 2018 - Brenntag acquires Belgium-based, specialty chemicals distributor Alphamin »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 10 Aug 2018 - Azelis strengthens its presence in Ireland through the acquisition of P-K Chemicals Limited »...Source: Azelis Press Release
- 13 Jul 2018 - Caldic completes acquisition of HT Griffin Food Ingredients in Canada »...Source: Caldic Press Release
- 12 Jul 2018 - Leading U.S. specialty chemical & ingredients distributor Charkit acquires assets of ChayseChem, Inc. »...Source: Charkit Press Release
- 3 Jul 2018 - Brenntag strengthens its footprint in Canada by acquiring the chemicals distribution business of Canada Colors and Chemicals »...Source: Brenntag Press Release
- 29 Jun 2018 - Whyte Chemicals, one of the UK's largest remaining privately-owned chemical distributors, has been acquired out of administration by the OQEMA Group »...Source: Chemagility Sources